Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Glow Stick Photo Shoot

This year on the 4th of July, we had just moved to Texas and didn't really know the area really well.  We tried going to see fireworks, but by the time they actually started the baby was so far past his happy place that we packed up and headed home in desperation.  But never fear- Super Mommy was here! 

I had bought glow sticks for our firework watching and when we brought them home I thought it might be fun to have a little dance party and pretend they were sparklers.  Then it dawned on me that this mights just make a great motion-photo.  I have a nice camera but not a whole lot of expertise in this area, but this is what we did:

I just propped the camera on my knee so it would be super still while I sat down and turned off the flash.  I pushed the shutter button and the shutter speed automatically slowed WAY down in order to capture enough light.  I had the boys (and Daddy who simply could not stay out of the fun!) dance around the room.  Then when the photo came through on the view screen, they ran over and were entranced by the explosion of color.  Like ghosts had made pictures for them!
It was so much fun and they forgot all about the missed fireworks.  Did I mention cheap?  A couple packs of glowsticks from the dollar store, your camera, and a room with no light.  We probably won't wait until the next set of missed fireworks before we pull this trick out of our bag again!

1 comment: